Save the Date! Eat Local Farm Tour – Saturday, July 16th, 2016
It’s all about the real people behind the real food.
The Twin Cities area food co-ops have come together to once again bring you a day that will change the way you experience your food. The Eat Local Farm Tour is a day dedicated to you, your farmers, and your food. Save the date to learn more about the families behind the fresh and tasty foods you buy at your local co-op.
On Saturday July 16th Farmers throughout central Minnesota will open their gates and barn doors to the public to share the stories and experiences behind their fruits, veggies, meats and dairy. This tour is free and self-guided. Pick up a guide at your local co-op and cater your tour to your needs and interests. Spend the afternoon hopping around to a few urban farms in the cities, or load the car up with snacks and sunscreen and make a day of it traveling to the further reaching pockets of central and southern Minnesota. Follow our Facebook page updates and more information on the farms: https://www.facebook.com/EatLocalFarmTour.coop/?fref=ts.
Sponsoring food co-ops include: Eastside Food Co-op, GrassRoots Co-op, Just Food Co-op, Lakewinds Food Co-op, Linden Hills Co-op, Mississippi Market Natural Foods Co-op, People’s Food Co-op, River Market Community Co-op, Seward Community Co-op, St. Peter Food Co-op and Valley Natural Foods.
Tips for enjoying the tour:
- Visit farms only during their set open hours.
- Because GPS can be spotty in rural areas, check your directions on Google Maps before heading out: http://s.coop/1usbu.
- Bring a cooler to store all the farm-fresh goods you find.
- Stay on established paths, and don’t pick produce without the farmer’s permission.
- Leave pets at home.
- Swing by the local food co-op for snacks and drinks.
This year’s participating farms include:
- 10th Street Farm and Market
- Blooming Prairie Natural Beef
- Buttermilk Falls CSA & Folk School
- Bull Brook Keep
- Featherstone Farm
- Ferndale Market
- Garden Farme
- Hmong American Farmers Association
- Hoch Orchard and Gardens
- Hope Creamery
- Hungry Turtle Farm
- Mississippi Mushrooms
- Poplar Hill Dairy Goat Farm
- Shepherd’s Way Farm
- Simple Harvest Organics
- Sin Fronteras
- Star Prairie Trout
- Steady Hand Farm
- Stone’s Throw Urban Farm
- Riverbend Farm
- TC Farm
- The Beez Kneez
- Thousand Hills
- Cattle Co.
- Urban Roots
- Whistling Well Farm
- White Pine Berry Farm
- Will Heal Farm
- Windland Flats